Are you wondering if your child could benefit from child therapy? Our skilled therapists provide services to children of all ages in the DC and Maryland area.
Who is Child Therapy For?
As parents, we can usually tell when our regular efforts to help our child are not working. There are many times where we could benefit from some knowledgeable guidance on parenting. We of course want the best for our child. We want to give them the best chance possible to adjust and cope with challenges successfully.
Child therapy can help a child express normal emotions and is done often in conjunction with meetings with the parent(s). Typical issues that parents may seek child therapy are if your child:
- Shows signs of low self-esteem or self-injury
- Your child seems depressed frequently (gives up on normal tasks)
- Difficulty adjusting to social situations
- Is hyperactive or shows signs of ADHD
- Has behavioral difficulties in school or at home
- Needs help managing anger in a constructive way
- Experienced a recent trauma or death of a loved one
- Adjusting to changes after a separation or divorce
How Does Child Therapy Work?
Our child therapy services take into account the age of your child when it comes to choosing the best therapy for your child’s individual needs. This may include sand tray figurines, storytelling, art materials, toys, and therapeutic games. Your child therapist will tailor sessions with your child and actively help your child to:
- Increase problem-solving capacities
- Express emotions in a healthy way
- Develop better verbal skills for emotional expression
- Increase resiliency and self-direction
- Reduce inappropriate behaviors
Your DC child therapy counselor will also provide support for you as a parent, which usually includes some meeting with you and your child together as well as resources for education and parenting support.