Dara McDowell, MS, MFT
Dara McDowell is a marriage and family therapist with a passion for helping others find healing and hope. Dara focuses on trauma, depression, anxiety, substance abuse and relationship issues.Schedule Your Consultation
Call Dara directly at 202-629-1949 ext 15
Dara is experienced providing evidence-based counseling services to individuals, couples, families and children and draws from knowledge of diversity issues, deep in her bones. Dara specializes in families, individuals, and providing an open space for clients to tell their story, connect the dots and get results in their life where they need it most. She’s experienced at conducting groups to help women become strong and successful in life and love. Couples and families seeking relief from distress can benefit from Dara’s ability to create a safe space for clients.
Dara brings a wealth of lived and learned experiences to her clinical practice. She is currently a PhD candidate at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, where she lives and breathes experiences related to social justice. She has multiple published research articles focusing on substance use, African Americans, mothers, historical loss and intergenerational trauma.
Education and background
Dara is from Philadelphia, PA. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from Tuskegee University. She worked in the Philadelphia School district as a school therapeutic support and then obtained a Master of Science in Marriage and Family Therapy from Capella University. She has worked in private practice, community mental health and private agencies. Currently, she is a doctoral candidate at Drexel University.
Healthy Mind & Healthy Life :
- Overcoming depression, stress, anxiety and trauma
- Navigating different transitions through life
- Healing family conflict issues and concerns
- Improving communication
- Creating a healthy relationship with sex
- Expressing needs and getting needs met
- Reducing conflict and healthy communication
- Navigating family conflict and expectations
- Learning and managing cultural conflicts
- Negotiating power, privilege and gender roles
Here are some clinical issues that I work with frequently:
- Improve communication.
- Create healthy boundaries.
- Pre-marital and pre-parental counseling