DC Family counseling is an effective way to improve the way your family communicates and can set up healthy patterns that will last a life time. Power struggles between family members happen in every family, but there are times when seeking professional family counseling is called for, such as when:
- Your child or you have experienced trauma
- Your family has difficulty showing respect, kindness, or appreciation to one another
- Your family has experienced illness or death
- One or more of your family members is dealing with an addiction or mental health symptoms
- Your family has or will experience divorce or separation
- You have re-married and want help integrating your families
- You want help with better parenting strategies
How Does DC Family Counseling Help?
Our family counselor will meet with your family together to begin a conversation about identifying the trouble spots to collaborate to find solutions and new ways to interact. Our counselor may have you fill out a questionnaire and may want to consult separately with the parents. In typical family counseling meetings, your counselor will provide some structure for guiding your interactions as a family. These are designed to assess strengths and needs of the family and begin to support each of you to make needed changes.
Some typical outcomes from our DC family counseling are:
- Increased communicating and being more honest with each other
- Feelings of being “on the same team” parenting with your spouse
- More respect and trust of your children and for children toward parents
- Better performance and maturity at school
- Confidence to be consistent in your parenting
- “Having your house back” from kids’ control
Younger children can not always talk easily about their feelings. Kids (and adults) benefit from having multiple avenues to express themselves. For family counseling with younger children under age 12, your counselor may use some form of play therapy when working directly with your child. This could include use of therapeutic games, art materials, sand tray figurines and story telling. Therapy with children under age five makes use of play techniques, and your counselor will assess what level of play or talk interactions are best for older children.
Call Today for a Free Consultation
Washington DC Weekend Counseling Information